The Really Useful GEN Resource List
information for action about genetic engineering
General Information and Advice
- Tips for setting up a local group - and handy contacts - UPDATED
- "What to do if there's a GM test site near you" - step by step guide to different campaigning methods - UPDATED
- "My first little book of GM crop decontamination" - excellent guide to covert crop actions, available from - NEW!
- Dates for your Diary - a monthly list of calendar dates - NEW!
- The GEN List of Damaged Trial Sites in the UK - a regularly updated list of sites which have been deliberately damaged or withdrawn - NEW!
- Legal advice and briefings on procedure is available from Activists Legal Project: ;
- Earth First Action Update - a monthly round up of ecological and other direct action from around Britain. Costs �5 for 10 issues, from /
- Schnews - a weekly round up of news and activities of ecological and social issues. Available from .
- Genetix Update - quarterly newsletter: news, dates and contacts. �5 a year from TOGG; ;
- Splice - produced 6 times a year, costing between �20 - �85 from Genetics Forum: www.geneticsforum.org.uk
- gm-action - focussing on rapid ideas for action, e.g. letters; meetings. To subscribe e-mail and put subscribe gm-action in the subject
- - news and information on companies
- GEN e-mail lists - three lists of varying traffic. Focuses on UK and international news, analysis and action reports. To subscribe, e-mail
- Banners - the banner you want might already be painted, or we can give advice on painting them yourself
- Lifecycles - pedal powered genetics roadshow, costumes and cinema. www.lifecycles.uk.cf or
- Images - from biohazard symbols and cartoons to photos of past actions, if there's a specific image you need for a leaflet, there's a chance we'll have it on the GEN computer
- Genes on Toast - outline for street theatre
- No Patents on Life - four designs - miffy; leaf; barcode; DNA strip
- Primal Seeds - untangling ourselves from the monocult - launch for the website; explains its content
- Put your foot down for real food and farming - joint leaflet and postcard to Tony Blair - NEW!
- GM coffee: We don't want it; Don't sell it - postcard to give to retailers, from Action Aid; - NEW!
- GM Inside - GM animal feed postcard to store managers
- Five Year Freeze - postcard to MPs asking for a moratorium
- Who's involved in GMOs near you? - launch postcard for GM info website
- Genetic Engineering and the Patenting of Life - a talk by Luke Anderson, available from TOGG; ;
- Stop The Crop - an inspiring summary of crop action in the UK by Undercurrents. Copies available from GEN for cost price plus p+p
- Genetic Engineering Network - an introduction to the GEN office, what it does, and key contacts - NEW!
- "GM foods: the jury is still out" - introductory leaflet from Five Year Freeze - NEW!
- Human Genetics Alert - introduction to the issues and the organisation - NEW!
- Genetic Engineering Under Scrutiny - General GeneWatch leaflet -
- MORI/GeneWatch Poll Results - Details of the June 1998 opinion poll -
- Genetic Hazard! At a Supermarket Near You
- TOGG Leaflets - Useful, easy introduction to the key issues. Four subjects: Farm Scale Trials; Veg and Freedom; GM Animal Feed; Life, the Universe, and Genetic Engineering
- Don't let the Scientists bring out the Animal in you - BUAV leaflet about GE and xenotransplantation
- Genetic Engineering: Don't Swallow It! - myths and facts about GM. Slightly out of date but a good intro
- Beware: Hazardous Food Ahead - introductory leaflet on GE Foods, how to avoid them and what you can do about it
- Look what the Gene Dictators are growing just for you - leaflet by the soil association
There are many books available, see your local bookshop, or ring GEN for advice. These are five new books, all available from Zed Books, , apart from the last two - ring GEN for how to get hold of a copy or try your local bookshop
- Redesigning life - summary of the worldwide challenge to GE (edited by Brian Tokar) - NEW!
- Brave New Seeds - the threat of GM crops to farmers (Bob Brac and Franck Seuret) - NEW!
- Stolen Harvest - the hijacking of the global food supply (Vandana Shiva) - NEW!
- vFrom the Ground Up - rethinking industrial agriculture (Norberg Hodge, Goering and Page) - NEW!
- Trust Us, We're Experts - How Industry Manipulates Science and Gambles With Your Future (John Stauber) - NEW!
- Genetic Engineering, Food and the Environment - a good introduction (Luke Anderson)
There are many useful websites, too many for this list, so here's a few of them. Try their links pages for more.
- geneticsaction.org.uk - Genetic Engineering Network, with full list of GM trial sites in UK
- www.togg.org.uk - Totnes Genetics Group
- animalfeed - issues and action ideas about GM animal feed
- www.gm-info.org.uk - Corporate Watch, briefings and map of GM sites in UK
- www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~cahge - Human Genetics Alert campaign
- www.groundup.org - ASEED Europe's excellent links and introduction
- www.genewatch.org - briefings galore!
- www.primalseeds.org - biodiversity, seed saving guides, guerilla gardening, news and discussion
- geneticsaction.org.uk/testsites - the UK test site list, regularly updated
- www.ukabc.org - websites with great briefings on trade, IPR's and agricultural biodiversity
- www.grain.org - websites with great briefings on trade, IPR's and agricultural biodiversity
- www.rafi.org - websites with great briefings on trade, IPR's and agricultural biodiversity
Information about Alternatives
- What's wrong with supermarkets? - critique leaflet about supermarkets and what you can do
- 10 Reason's to grow organic fruit and vegetables - part of HDRA's grow your own campaign; leaflet
- The Seed Search is on! - introduction and guide to seed saving; leaflet
- The Cook's Potato Guide - fold out poster on different varieties and how to grow your own
- The Cook's Garden Planner - fold out illustrated chart on what to grow and when
- Organic garden's open and events guide 2001
- Guerilla Gardening - you don't have to have a big garden to grow your own: check out www.primalseeds.org for a guide
Briefings and Reports
Many of these briefings are also available from GEN
- Syngenta: Switching off farmers' rights?
- Citizen's jury (report on citizen's jury on GM in India)
- Crops and robbers (exposes patents on life)
- World Trade Organisation: prescribing food insecurity
- AstraZeneca and its genetic research: feeding the world or fuelling hunger?
- Robbing coffee's cradle - GM coffee and it's threat to poor farmers - NEW!
- Animal Feed & GE: Other major animal feed manufacturers
- Animal Feed & GE: BOCM Pauls
- Animal Feed & GE: Dalgety Agriculture
- From test tube to tummy - GMO supply chain
- Archer Daniels Midland - supermarket to the world
- Cash cows and Bull markets - finance behind GM crops
- Cargill - arrogance incorporated
- The industry strikes back- functional foods good for Monsanto's health
- Control freaks - the GMO exporters
- Apocalypse later? - who's winning the biotech battle?
Friends of the Earth:
- Critique of SCIMAC guidelines for GM Crops
- Farm Scale Trials of GM crops; in Depth
- GM Animal Feed
- GM Crops and Food
Genewatch UK: / www.genewatch.org
- Farmscale Trials of GM Crops:Answering the safety questions
- Genetically Modified Foods: Will Labelling Provide Choice?
- Genetic Engineering: A Review of Developments in 1998
- Leaking from the Lab? The contained use of GM Micro-Organisms in the UK
- Genetically Engineered Oilseed Rape: Agricultural Savior or New Form of Pollution?
- Privatising Knowledge, Patenting Genes
- Human Gene Therapy: A Cure for all ills
- GM Crops in the UK - Farmers Info Series
- GE A review of Developments in 2000
- Human Biocollections: Gene banking
- GM crops currently being field trialled in the UK (2001)
- Genetic Testing in Insurance and Employment: A new form of Discrimination - NEW!
- Syngenta - Switching off Farmer's Rights?
- Biotech, the Next Generation. Good for Whose Health?
- Overview of the Farm Scale Trials and factsheet on each crop
- Biological Weapons and the New Genetics
- Genetic Engineering: Can it feed the World?
- Patenting Genes - Stifling Research and Jeapordising Healthcare
- Designer Forests - The Development of GM Trees
- Supermarkets and Animal Feed - NEW!
- Non-GM Seed for Farmers - NEW!
- GM Farm Scale Trials - two versions, one two pages, one nine pages
- GM Wine - a guide (only available on website; www.greenpeace.org.uk)
- Shopper's guide to GM - informs shoppers what animal produce in which brands is GM
- GE Fish: Swimming against the Tide (only available on website; www.greenpeace.org)
- Pulp Fiction - GE Trees (only available on website; www.greenpeace.org)
- Keep the Genetic Experiment out of out Schools - briefing and campaign pack
Human Genetics Alert:
- Why should I be concerned about human genetics? - NEW!
- Non-reproductive Cloning
The Sunshine Project:
- The Biological Weapons Convention
- Risks of Using Biological Agents in Drug Eradication
- Biological Weapons and Genetic Technologies: Set of Three Briefings
The Corner House: /
- Briefing 10: Food? Health? Hope? Genetic Engineering and World Hunger
- Briefing 16: If Cloning is the Answer, What was the Question? Power and Decision-Making in the Geneticisation of Health
- Briefing 21: Genetic Dialectic: The Biological Politics of Genetically Modified Trees
- Women's Environmental Network:
For individual Briefings, contact GEN. For a full pack, contact WEN
- Genetic Engineering and the Threat to Farm Animals
- UK Addresses of Biotech Industry and Government
- What is Genetic Engineering
- Out of Control: Threats from Patents
- The Giant Green Salmon - Cautionary Tales
- Gene Foods
- Terminator Technology
- GE Cotton
- Feeding the Hungry Transnationals